Welcome to a new episode of the New Female Leaders podcast
Welcome to a new episode of the New Female Leaders podcast. The podcast about authentic leadership where we interview role models and experts and together we try to answer the question: what IS authentic female leadership? How can you make an impact and stay true to yourself? This time we’re talking to Lisa Jordan, philanthropist, social activist, and Managing Director at the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation.
“Own your own power. That would be my first point. Have fun. And if you’re not in a position where you can actually live your values, create the conditions where you can. Because that’s entirely possible.“
Here’s what you will learn:
- How you can make intuitive career choices
- The difference between social activism and philanthropy
- How to own your power as a female leader
- What a leader mindset is
- How to keep your ego in check by building a team around you that knows more than you
- The conundrum of women leadership in the social sector
- The secret sauce of a social enterprise
- How to bake social impact into your business model
Get to your own definition of authentic leadership with the New Female Leader book
In the book New Female Leader Caroline gives you concrete handles for how to lead as a woman and stay with your own values. You'll read from inspiring female rolemodels, Caroline gives you tips to lead in your own way and refers to relevant researches so you can find your own definition of authentic leadership.
Creating change and solving socially complex problems is what has driven Lisa Jordan’s entire career, from working in the US Congress where she first started running NGOs and building programs for NGOs, to decades in philanthropy. Lisa has lived and worked in New York, Washington D.C., Amsterdam, Tokyo, Brussels, and is currently based in The Hague.
Lisa has served in senior executive positions with Porticus (CSO), Bernard van Leer (CEO), Bank Information Center (CEO), and with the Ford Foundation as Director of the Governance and Civil Society Unit. At the age of 25, she was the Founding Director of GLOBE, the largest environmental parliamentary organization in the world. She is ranked in 2018 in the top ten of influencers in Dutch civil society.
According to Lisa, the driving force behind all of the opportunities that she has been so privileged to be able to realize, has been the key issue: “How do we create equity in the world? How do we make sure everybody gets heard and how do we make sure that we have good social contracts between each other?”
And so everything Lisa has done and is doing as Managing Director at the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation is about “building equity in the world, solving complex social problems and making sure that everyone has the right to shape or participate in the societies within which they live.”
In the episode, Lisa takes you on a journey through her impressive career and emphasizes the importance of owning your power as a female leader. “Throw your ideas out. Let people grapple with them. Don’t be afraid if they’re crazy, don’t speak with a question mark in your voice. That’s not what you need to do. You know what you’re talking about. So own it. And don’t be afraid to lead people. Don’t be afraid.”
Furthermore, Lisa teaches you what she believes to be the secret sauce of a social enterprise: how to bake social impact into your business model. “As long as the social impact is baked into the business model, there should be no friction between growing the business and growing the impact. So when we’re talking to entrepreneurs, we never start with their business model. Never. We start with: What’s the change you want to create in the world?”
What is your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Be a role model and share your insights in the comments!
- Time stamp
- Lisa shares about her impressive career in the social sector
- Lisa explains what she means by creating equity in the world
- Lisa shares how a sister of mercy helped her define the direction of her career
- Lisa shares how her career path wasn’t straightforward
- Lisa explains why and in what way her career choices were intuitive
- Lisa explains the difference between social activism and philanthropy
- Lisa explains what she means by owning your power as a female leader
- Lisa shares how her expression of power changed after a turning point mentoring moment and how it allowed her to step into her power
- Lisa shares how the leader mindset further helped her step into her power
- Lisa illustrates how integrity can help you own your power with a powerful example of Janet Reno, the Attorney General under Clinton
- Lisa shares what values are important to her
- Lisa shares the challenges that come with operating from a values-centered position
- Lisa shares how building a team that knows more than you helps you keep your ego in check and keeps you tethered to the goal, mission, and vision of the organization
- Lisa shares her thoughts on why there are more women in leadership positions in the social sector than any other sector
- Lisa explains the conundrum of women leadership in the social sector and where the money in social entrepreneurship is actually going
- Lisa shares her bewilderment with special calls for social entrepreneurs through a gender lens
- Lisa shares how the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation balances their portfolio through an equity lens
- Lisa explains what the DRK Foundation equity lens entails
- Lisa explains the definition of a social enterprise and how measuring social impact is its secret sauce
- Lisa gives a few examples of how organizations like the DRK Foundation, Simprints and Renewal Workshop measure impact
- Lisa shares the importance of baking the social impact into the business model
- Lisa talks about the challenge of balancing the market’s financial return and the social sector’s social return and what she loves about the era that we’re in
- Lisa shares what she believes to be the gift from social entrepreneurs to the rest of the world
- Lisa shares her final bit of advice to the current and future female leaders
- Lisa shares how you can connect with the DRK Foundation on social media
Relevant links and references
Draper Richards Kaplan’s website
Energy Peace Partners, the last deal of 2020 that DRK Foundation was able to make
Sisters of Mercy
Rob Kaplan’s books
Janet Reno, the Attorney General under Clinton
The handbook for new leadership from your own values
In the book New Female Leader Caroline gives you concrete handles for how to lead as a woman and stay with your own values.
Comments van anderen
Listen to one of our other shows!
Het handboek voor nieuw leiderschap vanuit je eigen waarden
De afgelopen 2 jaar hebben we besteed aan het onderzoeken wat het nu betekent om als vrouw te leiden vanuit je authentieke zelf. Samen met jou zijn we op een zoektocht om uit te vinden wat het nu betekent om vanuit je eigen waarden te leiden in deze — nog steeds patriarchale — samenleving.
Inmiddels zijn we zo'n 70 gesprekken verder en is er een BOEK! Zie dit boek als een handboek om je eigen definitie aan leiderschap te geven, waarbij we een model hebben ontwikkeld met handvatten hoe je dit nou het beste kunt doen. Het boek bevat tips van de rolmodellen, in combinatie met Caroline haar visie, analyse en wetenschappelijk onderzoek, zodat je tot je eigen authentieke vorm van leiderschap kunt komen.
Niks missen van New Female Leaders?
De laatste shows, waardevolle content & updates over leiderschap waardoor jij verder groeit in jouw leiderschaps journey.
Onze meest recente shows
New Female Leaders Accelerator
Hét leiderschapsprogramma voor alle vrouwen die hun eigen definitie aan leiderschap willen geven
Het is niet eenvoudig om als vrouw authentiek te leiden.
Maar het kan wel!
Droom jij er ook van te staan voor wie je echt bent? Om te leiden vanuit vrijheid, verbinding, zelfbewustzijn en je eigen waarden? Je kwaliteiten maximaal in te zetten en je potentieel te benutten om de wereld een stukje beter te maken?
En wil je een netwerk van vrouwen hebben die net zo ambitieus zijn als jij? Wil je worden geïnspireerd door rolmodellen en zelf een rolmodel zijn voor anderen? En ook nog gecoacht te worden door de beste Executive Coaches?
Dan is de Accelerator voor jou!
Plan nu een Discovery Call om meer te weten te komen!